Sunday, February 26, 2012

Atypical Sunday


Today was not the typical Sunday.  I got up a little late to go to church this morning, so I hurried to get there.  I was about 2 minutes too late.  Church had already started, and our preacher was leading the singing.  I had noticed that our regular song leader had not left his house yet when I went by, so I had hoped that I would make it before they started.  Apparently, our regular song leader has bronchitis, and so our preacher had stepped in to lead the singing.  It's a small congregation, so we don't have enough kids to have Sunday School, but we do start every service with "Jesus Loves Me" for the kids.  As soon as the song was over, our preacher stopped and asked if I wanted to lead the singing today.  I was the song leader before I moved away for graduate school.  I was never very good at it.  I'm just not a loud enough and confident enough of a singer to lead a congregation, let alone a small congregation where every singer counts and there is no musical accompaniment since it is a Church of Christ. Luckily, there was already a song service planned out that I had used the last time I had to be the substitute song leader.  I just wasn't exactly prepared.  I usually need to get mentally read to sing and make sure that the right tune comes out.  I admit, I faltered a few times today.  I even had to restart "The Old Rugged Cross" because I started it wrong.  Overall, I guess the song service went well.  I did my best. The Bible does say:
Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.
Ephesians 5:19 (KJV)
Today, we made a joyful noise only because we did it for the glory of God.  Others may not have agreed that it was a joyful noise, but to me, there is nothing more beautiful than a group of people in a small country church where everyone is singing and making melody in our hearts to the Lord.

7 comments:

silvereagle said...

JoeBlow....Know you did an excellent fill in for the song leader this morning. The local Churcho of Christ is across the street from me. Beleive me, they could use your help sometimes in the music department!!

But, as you stated "there is nothing more beautiful than a group of people in a small country church where everyone is singing and making melody in our hearts to the Lord."

Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure it was joyful...now the noise question remains!

HAHAHAHA

It's when we step up to situations that we are not totally comfortable with that we gain strength. Good for you!

Peace <3
Jay

fan of casey said...

Joe: Your enthusiasm compensated for your reluctance -- it's not the quality of your singing but the spirit you put into it.

brotherdoc said...

Joe--lead us not into temptation! Your entire choir/congregation consists of these cute young men and boys? Amazing Grace, all right. God bless and I say that reverently.

Joe said...

Thanks, silvereagle. I did my best.

Jay, it was not quite loud enough to be noise, LOL.

Thanks, FOC.

I wish, brotherdoc, but they young men and boys are just the only picture I could find of a small congregation singing in a church without instruments.

Joe said...

Coop, no matter how bad you may think you are, with a group singing, it sounds beautiful. Then again, there are people like my father who are there just to mouth the words, LOL.

Mark Reneau said...

This is my first time to read your blog, and I must say I was surprised to see the posts about the C of C. I teach at the Tennessee Governor's School for the Arts, which is in session for the month of June, and I had occasion this past week to talk to a former student who, at the age of 18, was kicked out by his good C of C parents. That was two years ago and they have not spoken to him since. This is good christian behavior?

Being raised Baptist was bad enough, but I have never seen anything to beat the damage the C of C has inflicted on some people I know. I'm sure the members of your church would injure themselves to disfellowship you, too, if they knew you were gay.