Sunday, February 12, 2012

Christian Love


As Christians, God's greatest commandment is a simple one, but sometimes it is the most difficult to follow.
Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with ALL thy heart, and with ALL thy soul, and with ALL thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang ALL the law and the prophets.
Matthew 22:35 
When things do not go well in our life, we sometimes questions God, and if we are questioning God, then we are not loving him with all of our heart, soul, and mind.  Love and trust go together, and even when times get bad, we must trust in the Lord that he will be there by our side, helping us through the troubled times.

The second greatest commandment can be really difficult to follow.  How many times have you thought, "I really hate this/that person"?  How many times have you felt anger toward someone for something that they did wrong?  I constantly feel anger at people who call themselves Christians but then do not follow God's greatest commandments and love one another.  This probably makes me a hypocrite, but in the end, I try to love all of my fellow men.  For all of those who give speeches about America being a Christian nation, how can they condemn others and yet still follow God's word?  It is something that has always perplexed me.

I teach my high school students the Golden Rule on a regular basis.  It is on the wall in my classroom.  They see it each and every day, and I hope that it will sink into them and give our next generation a better hope.  With Valentine's Day drawing near, and with some of us who are single, we should all remember that God's Greatest Commandment is LOVE.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This seems to be the central tenet which ALL of the Republican wingnuts running for the candidacy have forgotten. Discriminate, disavow, push to the side, all in the name of Christ?! I don't think that's what He had in mind at all. I wish we could get this message out to everyone of the so-called Christians that are fighting gay marriage, non-discrimination laws and everything else that forces us to the back of the bus in the name of THEIR Christianity. It sure isn't the Christianity I learned about back in Sunday School in the 60's and 70's and 80's.
Peace <3
Jay

silvereagle said...

Well thoughtout and excellently presented. So appropriate at this time of celebration of the Valentine Day.
Thanks...and I am going to copy and share this one for sure!!!

Adam said...

My experience of the Almighty is that God is strong enough to handle our questions, too. Questioning God does not show a lack of faith, but a willingness to make it a living faith, and I think God somehow honors honest probing. Thanks for this inspiring post.

Joe said...

Thanks, Jay and Silvereagle.

Adam, my point did not come across as it was in my head. I also think God honors honest probing. Even Jesus on the cross asked, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?". What I meant was, I guess, a bit more complicated. Sometimes people question God because they feel that a loving God could never allow something terrible to happen to them or that he would not allow fellow Christians to condemn us for being gay, etc. Then that questioning turns them away from God. I meant that we should understand that God loves us more than we can ever love him and that by turning away from God's love we are turning away from him. I hope that makes some more sense.

I've had a cold and the cold medicine is making my head foggy.

Adam said...

Makes good sense to me, JoeBlow. It's refreshing to read a blogger who's comfortable with his own faith and willing to share his thoughts in that area. I enjoy your writing.

silvereagle said...

Adam, I agree wholeheartedly with your thoughts...thanks, JoeBlow!!!