Friday, February 6, 2015

How's It Hangin'?



How's it hangin' is a very informal way to say hello to your fellow. What is actually hanging, is evident from the following example.
- Hey, Joe, how's it hangin'? - A little bit to the left. 
The standard answer seems to most often be a literal answer as to how your penis really is hanging: long and to the left, tight and to the right, etc.

Yesterday a friend and I were discussing which side men "dress" on.  Dressing left and dressing right are terms that most men, at least those who wear suits, know.  It's a term used by tailors when fitting suit pants.  To "dress left" means that one keeps one’s male appendage shifted in the general direction of the left trouser leg.  Likewise for the right.

I've been a bit fascinated by this topic since I first saw it on an episode of Friends when I was a teenager.  Chandler went to get a suit tailored and the tailor grazed his privates to see if he dressed left or right.  Chandler was horrified, but Joey explained that he thought that's how all tailors determined which side a man's privates hung.  Chandler says that tailors usually just ask you instead of checking for themselves.  (I may have some of the details wrong, but I do remember this episode.)

Straight male friends have always been fond of asking, "How's it hangin'?"  This always kind of excited me because it always made me think of my straight male friends' penis and how he was hanging.  According to a study I read, 75 percent of all men dress (hang) to the left, whereas, 25 percent dress to the right.  There are several theories about why this is.

According to medical researchers, most men should dress left.  This is basic biology,  The left testicle is lower than the right.  Thus, some men theorize that it was made to swing to the left, and swinging right would be uncomfortable.  Some even go further that left dressing men are happier and more creative, while right dressing men are often in a bad mood.

Another theory says that most right-handed men dress to their left, and vice-versa for lefties, due to the way men return their penis through their pants' fly. Some (including myself) have speculated that it is due to masturbation. The erection conforms to the curve of the palm, whether for a leftie or a rightie. Over time the penis is permanently changed.  My guess is that it is really more revealing about which hand is dominant.  I dress to the left, and I am right handed.

I came across one guy who theorized that after seeing lots of men naked that most gay men's flaccid penis hangs towards the left and most straight men's penis hangs to the right. However, my guess is that this particular man has seen a greater number of gay men than straight men naked and thus he has not only seen that most men hang to the left.

So, how's it hangin', guys?


2 comments:

Richard said...

I've had a great many suits and pairs of slacks tailor made over the years, but I never had a tailor who checked for the dress side themselves. They always asked.

My personal surmise was always the one you stated in your post. Most, certainly not all, men have a set of jewels of which the left one hangs lower. Look through a hundred images of nude males and you will see that the left/right ratio varies considerably. I would guess 75/25 is probably about the norm.

The saying that your penis leans towards the hand you favor it with is simply an old wives tale. Google it.

Now, while a tailor never inspected my goods, barbers are another story. :)

Ipmilat said...

I've never understood this about which side a man dresses. My cock hangs straight down!