Friday, July 1, 2016

Spoiled


Bob commented yesterday that, "Isabella appears to already be spoiled." Yes, I have to agree with that assessment. She's a little princess with all the makings of a diva. I have little doubt that she will be queen of her castle when she gets older. I expect she will become HRH II. Some of you may not have been around long enough to remember my very special and loving cat HRH, aka Victoria. Victoria was named after Queen Victoria, just as Isabella is named after another queen. Victoria ruled like no other cat I've ever known, and she ruled with fear. People, other cats, and even dogs cowered when she was nearby. She never hurt anyone but she had a look and a yeow that meant she meant business. My aunt once called her "Miss Victoria," to which my aunt received a look that if looks could kill, she'd have died on the spot. When she changed it to "Queen Victoria," HRH forgave her and allowed her to enter the house.

While Victoria ruled through fear, I hope Isabella will rule through benevolence. Right now her greatest demands are that you be in the same room she is and that you lay still so she can sleep on top of you with only minimal disturbance. Victoria was always a stickler for you being still. I can remember coming home from teaching and she would know I was tired so she'd demand that I lay down. Then she'd lay on my side and we'd take a nap. This was our after school ritual when I was a teacher. She'd patiently wait for me to come home, watch from an upstairs window and wait for me at the top of the steps to come inside. Isabella does not yet immediately come to greet me, but she does come within the first few minutes of me coming home. Instead of nap time though, for her it is playtime.

I realize that Victoria and Isabella are two different cats, but I don't think you can help but to compare the two. No cat can ever replace Victoria. Edith and Lucy helped me get over the loss of Victoria, but they were always more my aunt's cats than mine. Isabella will be raised by me. We will see if she is as loyal and great a companion as the previous queen in my life. So far, she is doing a damn good job.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Joe, I cannot imagine Isabella not becoming the latest "love of your life." Cats have a way of doing that to us almost by their very existence, and she is already quite the charmer. While no one and nothing can ever take Victoria's place in your heart, you have so much love to give, and Isabella will thrive on it and return it in kind. I wish the two of you a long and loving life together. <3