Thursday, October 6, 2016

My Health



Over the past couple of years I have been suffering from cluster headaches. At first they went undiagnosed, but a doctor diagnosed me with them about 18 months ago. I went through the treatment to stop their cycle and eventually it worked for a time. Then they came back, but not as strong as before I was put on a daily dose of a preventive medicine. About a month or so ago, I went to a neurologist. At first he did not believe I had cluster headaches or migraines. I have both. However, he decided he might as well try treating me for the cluster headaches since I have medicine that will stop the migraines. 

The first thing he did was triple the dose of my medicine. I had been prescribed too low of a dose and he brought it up to the recommended level. Since then, I have been cluster headache free. When I went to see the neurologist yesterday, he finally agreed that I must have had cluster headaches since the treatment was working so well. I still have headaches, sinus headaches and the occasional migraine, but I no longer have the never ending pain of the chronic cluster headaches. The relief from the cluster headaches is tremendous, but even more so, I feel relief at knowing for sure what has been wrong with me the last several years.

My depression has also eased with an increased dosage of my antidepressant. I feel better right now then I have in years. The depression isn't gone. I still have blue days here and there are moments of intense sadness, but it is not a constant state of sadness that I experienced before the increased antidepressant. I've also seen a drop in my anxiety. I don't feel panicked all the time. I am calmer.

I tend to hide my pain very well. For the past year, especially the past ten months, I have been absolutely miserable. I was in constant pain, mentally and physically. Most people wouldn't know it though because I hid it the best I could. Over the past month with changes to my medication, I feel better than I have in quite some time. Please pray for me that the pain will stay away. I realize that there will be periodic bouts of loneliness, fatigue, and depression, but they are no longer constant like they were. I hope and pray that my pain won't be coming back any time soon.

5 comments:

Michael Dodd said...

Glad the doctor is getting your meds adjusted properly. Be well, be happy, be free!

Susan said...

A truly wonderful, positive post, Joe. I am so happy your meds are finally helping to relieve your headaches and your depression. I do pray for your continued success. Take care. <3

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear this good news, Joe. I really enjoy your blog and wish the best for you.

naturgesetz said...

I'm really glad to hear that you've had these improvements. Since I haven't had clinical depression or cluster headaches, I can't know how you've felt. From all I've read, though, I understand that they must have been awful. So it's good that you have some relief.

notsodeviantgayguy said...

All the best to you Joe. I just started reading your blog and I'm enjoying it. Take care always. Sending my prayers to you.